A quick note: I’ve changed the blog access so anyone with
the address gcmagicwander.blogspot.com can access it. I would love to read
comments so I don’t feel like I’m writing into the abyss.
-----------
Two media activities happening today.
If you’re reading this now you probably know that I’m nearly
ready to publish my book The Publish Button: Logbook Pages from the Geocaching
Community Volunteer Reviewers.
I received my proof copy of the book on Sunday! So exciting
to see my words in book form! There was just one (huge) problem. Seems that in
the font I used (Crimson, for those interested), the italics lower case d
appears as a dot rather than anything recognizable as a d. Alas, there’s lots
of italics in the book. And, not surprisingly, I did not discriminate against the
letter d so the problem is pervasive. Here’s pretty much how one sentence
looked: I have been going over who I woul*
like to work with and trust their ju*gment and at the top of a very short list
is your *uo.
After confirming that the version of the proof that I saw
online definitely did not have this problem, I came up with an interim
solution. I added “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog” in lower case
and UPPER CASE in a few different fonts to a blank page to see which one(s)
deign to print italics d properly since I find it unlikely that Amazon
universally discriminates against italics d. Then I will update *all* of the
italics in draft to the new font it should be good to go. Crossing fingers that
this issue doesn’t change my page count. The proof should arrive Friday so I’m hoping
to publish next week.
On Sunday when I noticed the problem I grumbled and it’s
possible some 4-letter words came out of my mouth. Today I’m philosophical
about it: I don’t yet think it’s funny, but I know it will be funny once I have
a solution and can publish the book.
Once it’s published I will share the specifics, but for now
I can say it will be available on amazon (I know, I’m avoiding them too, but it’s
still the best option for me as a writer) for $19.95 USD, though purchasable in
other currencies as well. For locals – and those willing to pay postage – it will
also be available through me. There will also be some geocoins, associated with
the book but they won’t be available until August.
So that’s the status of the first “media” event. The second
media event was a short piece on the local tv show AM Northwest. There
was a bit of scheduling excitement, but I found out yesterday that I would be on
air today. I’m glad it’s over, but should you wish to see it, you can check it
out at https://katu.com/amnw/am-northwest-lifestyle-health/geocaching-a-real-treasure-hunt#.
My trip starts June 26 so I expect to be posting more regularly after that.
Good morning! I've written this post to assure you that this blog is not abysmal, so you are certainly NOT writing into the abyss. Leave that to me and my blog @ https://blog.summittdweller.com. 8^)
ReplyDelete