Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Last Day in Victoria

 

Today was a typical northwest day (realizing I’m in the southwest of Canada as I write this, but that’s north of what I consider the northwest so please roll with it) with a variety of weather. We had sun, clouds, rain, still air, breezes, and wind.

The day didn’t start out auspiciously. Tim Horton’s had the same choices, though we did process improve and get only our favorite (chocolate). On the plus side, yesterday’s strawberries were quite delicious this morning. Shortly after leaving our lodging we paused at a corner and I ended up directly under some gull poop that got on my shirt sleeve and front of my shirt. A quick stop in the nearby store yielded moist towelettes and good as new.

The first find of the day was a cache placed by the Landsharkz and, more importantly, was David’s 2000th find. It took me over 5 years to reach that milestone, and David accomplished it in under 2 years. Just a slight difference in technology and cache density over time…. Anyway, it’s still a worthy achievement and one worth celebrating.

We did so much walking in the morning, mostly in Chinatown and near the harbour, that I met my step goal before lunch which turned out to be a very mediocre shrimp taco. We were all rather tired so we took a siesta (and I fortified myself with some blueberries) before venturing out for some afternoon caching along the harbour and dinner. My disappointing non-fructose food karma continued with some so-so crab cakes, though David was delighted to have some poutine. I was still hungry so we sought dessert, and my best bites of the day (excluding, of course, the berries) were the chocolate brownie I bought at the dessert shop David remembered walking by this morning.  

So grateful to spend time with wonderful friends exploring a beautiful city! Tomorrow we take a ferry to the mainland and the GeoWoodstock festivities begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Africa Trip Kickoff

  I started writing this form somewhere above Nebraska on Friday afternoon. After a busy few weeks before my trip — helping prepare a 2nd gr...