On this my first week working entirely my “usual” schedule
since February, I’ve also had some other “firsts” this week: first Zooms, first
online grocery orders, and first time I’ve pre-enacted a birthday party with
stuffed animals.
Working my regular day shift was both familiar and new.
Familiar because almost everyone in my department was there in person and the
command center was virtual most of the week so there weren’t many others around.
Distinct because with social distancing we’re doing conference calls instead of
in-person meetings; my boss and I joked that we were probably sitting 6 feet
apart (though separated by a wall) even while we were holding a phone meeting. I’m
sure one day having my temperature taken when entering the hospital and taking
my own temperature even on days off won’t feel as unusual as it does now (Oregon
is requiring health care workers to monitor temperatures twice daily).
Next week might be more active in the command center since Oregon's governor has authorized hospitals to start performing elective surgeries as
long as patients are tested for covid-19, the hospital has 30 days of PPE on
hand, and the hospital maintains at least 20% capacity in case there’s another
covid-19 surge. This should be interesting, parts of the hospital have exceeded
90% of capacity for many months. I will know more Monday and Tuesday as I’m
assigned to the command center those days.
Socially things are getting more fun and more creative. I've had two sets of friends stop by, Sunday was a donation to the hospital of 3-d printed mask holders and Friday a costco run. Both times we chatted outside on and near my side deck, socially distancing, but with a sense of normalcy
Tuesday
evening Roy and I whats-app’d while I walked around inside my home to reach my daily
step goal. After we finished Ben returned a call via text saying his phone didn’t
get good signal at home and suggesting Zoom instead. Eventually Roy and later
Alison joined us – do I get bonus points for my first Zoom being interstate and
international? Lots of fun, even though we missed the opportunity to include
more friends. Hands down, it was my favorite “stay at home” evening of the season.
It was hard to excuse myself at 9pm to go prepare dinner, but then again it was
probably past everyone else’s bedtime as it was midnight for them. Definitely
looking forward to connecting with a larger group next week.
On Wednesday, seven of the eight households in my homeowner’s
association convened via Zoom for the quarterly-ish meeting we’d postponed from
March. We had both a productive and social gathering, and scheduled our next meeting
in July, to be held at a location to be determined later based on the social
distancing requirements in place on that date.
Tonight a neighbor brought me take-out and we had fun dinner
and conversation via Zoom.
A couple of weeks ago I tried and failed to find an available
pick-up time for a grocery store order with parking lot delivery. Tuesday
(before the phone calls) I scheduled a time, and then got distracted by the
phone. This was the beginning of my education and saga, which I’m recounting
here partly as a public service should anyone else try to order online from
Safeway. The system logs you out if you’ve been away too long, though
it’s not obvious, so while it looks like you’re adding things, they’re not
making it to the shopping cart. It turned out to be a poor choice to place the
order on Tuesday for a Thursday pickup since prices change on Wednesdays and both
the price quoted and price charged “current” at the time. Looking for matzo ball soup? Can’t find it in the virtual “soup”
aisle. Roy suggested searching by brand. How is Manischewitz spelled? Oh, there’s
the soup, in the “international” aisle, wouldn’t have though to check there. I still
haven’t figured out how to find pot sticker wrappers, even with input from Roy
and Ben. I know where to look in the store, and I searched online for pot
sticker, won ton, gyoza, wrapper, and several brand names but no success. Apparently,
I really didn’t want to make them after all. I had a similar experience with
some other esoteric items, clearly only some items from the store inventory are
available online, though it’s not obvious whether it’s possible to “special
order” something not on the online menu. By default, the order is placed in the name of the account.
Which means that if one didn’t pay attention when placing the order, one might
not be aware that the order was placed in, oh, say, a geocaching alias,
hypothetically speaking, of course. This can be a problem when retrieving the
order.
I arrived promptly at 5pm Thursday to pick up the order and
was told everything is running 45 minutes late, bummer. I drove to a nearby
neighborhood and took a nice walk, then returned about 6pm. They couldn’t find
my order even though by now I’ve received the text that the order is ready, and
suggested I come back in 45 minutes. Grumble, I would have gone home to ride my
exercise bike if I’d known it would be that long. I returned about 7:30 (pick-ups
end at 8), and they can’t find it. I sit with the back of my car open and the
interior lights on for close to an hour. Eventually we discover the name that
the order is placed in, and the nice employee says she recognizes that name.
She quickly retrieves and loads groceries and I’m ready to go home.
Except that my car isn’t ready to go home. It won’t start. I
can’t even roll the window up, and it’s starting to get chilly now that the sun
is down. Fortunately I have plenty of jackets in the car. Tried to start the car a couple more times. Called AAA, let them know that I
think it’s the battery. Rather than be annoyed, I decide this will be an interesting thing to blog about -- much like the way I try to think of my mishaps while traveling.
AAA arrives, tests things, agrees it the battery and the
helpful repair man says he can either give me a jump start or sell me a battery.
I buy the battery. We had a nice conversation, both of us wearing masks and
comparing notes as “essential employees” these days, while he swaps out the
battery. He’s nearly finished when we start to hear sirens. Then we
see at least six(!) police cars. Some coming from the west and turning south;
some coming from the east and turning south; some coming from the south and
turning east or west or going straight. Then more cars come, or maybe it’s the
same ones and they’re circling. Huh? Most of the time they’d be converging on a
single location, there must be a reason they’re continuing to move. Ah, probably
a fugitive. The AAA repair man agrees with my hypothesis. Others start to ask
us what’s going on, someone mentions that going west is blocked by a police car,
everyone seems satisfied with my guess. The sirens continue for several minutes, and we keep seeing
more police cars pass us, going in all directions. Eventually the sirens are
muted, the AAA job is complete, and I return home, seeing at least seven police
cars that are stopped with their lights but not sirens on. When I get home, I do
some online sleuthing and learn that there’s been an armed robbery at a convenience
store less than a block south of Safeway.
On Friday, I placed an order for Saturday to get the
proteins I failed to order on Tuesday. Easy peasy, no problems, no police noted. Did identify one
non-urgent item (chocolate chips) which has now been added to my cart for the
next order.
As for the birthday party, it’s a virtual barbecue/pot luck
for a friend’s milestone birthday, but it will be held while I’m at work. The assignment
is to post virtual pot luck contribution and photos of you and your immediate
circle in your best barbecue outfits. Since I have no clue what to do, I wander
around my house looking for inspiration and realize I have a small Tigger and a
similarly sized Baby Big Bird. Decide they should pre-enact the party with the
context of social distancing. It was a fun exercise, and the birthday person’s
spouse was entertained.
I hope whatever firsts you’re experiencing are keeping you
entertained rather than frustrated.
No comments:
Post a Comment