Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Random Musings from Prague

One of the great things about traveling is that new memories remind you of old ones. Prague has an impressive astronomical clock with a 30-second “drama” at the top of each hour. Hadn’t thought about being in other cities with fun clocks. Also had the opportunities today to consider other funiculars, boat rides, hop on hop off bus tours, and tourist towers (think Seattle’s Space Needle). Prague’s Lennon Wall even sparked memories of the graffiti written on the falling/fallen Berlin Wall. 

I’m pleased to report that we caused no international incidents today. We did, however, commit a few faux pas (and yes, that’s the plural, I checked, though in the plural the “s” is actually pronounced). Pulling napkins from the wrong direction and making a mess. Not knowing to weigh the fruit at a grocery store and get a label before standing in line to pay. And those are just the ones after dinner.


Here’s our best mixed metaphor du jour: eating Mexican food in Prague in September while the restaurant plays Christmas carols in English. And despite it being  a “pot calling the kettle black” moment, it was quite amusing to hear some locals attempting to pronounce quesadilla.

Why do Americans like to stay in fancy American hotels in Europe? We met a couple from Florida yesterday who tried to encourage us to stay at a fancy hotel....and today we met 2 couple traveling together (from Texas and Pennsylvania) who had similar thoughts. No thanks, we're enjoys our 6-room B&B in an old windmill in a nice (not touristy) neighborhood thank you very much. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! I am thoroughly enjoying your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Unexpected Private Tour

  I woke up bright and early this morning at 5, decided that yes I would go on the tour, and meandered down to breakfast. Definitely Europea...