Saturday, September 23, 2017

Finally in Krakow


The first time I remember wanting to go to Krakow was after reading a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon that mentioned Krakow. Of course, I’m sure Calvin pronounced it “Crack - OW!” orr “Crack-COW”. To someone from Poland it’s kra-kov (the v is sort of between an f and a v). Anyway, Jeff and I are finally here.

 As one would expect during a 24-hour journey, we had highs and lows. All planes were more or less on schedule. 


  • Low: realizing at the Portland airport that we didn’t have a cord with us to be able to download caches from Jeff’s computer. Needless to say, that would have been quite the catastrophe….but it least it was easy to purchase one.
  • Low: realizing that one of my daily medications somehow didn’t come with us (note: this has now been addressed, without any serious issues). Who knew SFO had a medical clinic? We didn’t, until we’d gone through security. Alas, the clinic was on the other side so Jeff took all of our luggage while I backtracked but the clinic couldn’t help (or rather, they could have but it would have meant missing our flight to Helsinki; same issue with my pharmacy — they would have happily transferred the prescription if there had been an on-site place to transfer it to). The nice couple behind me in the security line observed that I seemed to be traveling awfully light….but having studied SFO’s poor line assignment process I was prepared (1 line split into 2 lines…line A had 1 person checking passports and line B had 3 people checking passports).
  •  Mixed: attempt to resolve the medication in Helsinki….we successfully problem-solved, purchased bus tickets, found the clinic an airport pharmacy employee suggested we find but they weren’t willing to be flexible and see a drop-in and claimed that the doctors didn’t speak English (I’d believe that from lots of parts of the world, but not from educated people in a Nordic country). Bonus points to me for remembering the Finish word for thank you….or rather, for recognizing it on the plane (Finnair) and using it a few times during this adventure. And no, we didn’t find any caches…but that’s ok we already had finds in Finland
  •  Mixed: being rather obsessive about checking our flight’s gate out of Helsinki paid off. When we landed from SFO our flight to Krakow was scheduled for gate 24. When we returned from our bus rides and walks it was still gate 24. After dinner (chicken and pineapple sandwiches — no that’s not a typo) it was still gate 24. So naturally we went to gate 24. We even found a place to plug in a phone to charge. Then on my way to the loo I glanced at a monitor because, well, because I always glance at a monitor to make sure there aren't any surprises, and of course discovered the surprise. In plenty of time. 
  • High: being competent on our own, without asking anyone how to get from the airport to the main train station. We found the airport train stop. We bought tickets — finding the option for English rather than Polish, and purchasing the right tickets the first time. We compared this to our arrival in Vienna ~10 years ago when we’d made an honest but incorrect attempt for which the conductor had been understanding….and agreed that it was very nice that we didn’t need this conductor to cut us any slack.
  • High: finding a taxi driver who could take us to the hotel….and when we had only bills (the smallest bill here is 10 zloty or just under $3) told us to give him 20zl to cover the 22zl fare.  
  • Low: when we got to the hotel they did have space for us….but there had been a problem with our room so they had a different plan for us — single rooms….on different floors. We said our good nights, agreed when we’d meet for breakfast, and each crashed hard.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a travel day! I am glad you resolved your medication problems. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Africa Trip Kickoff

  I started writing this form somewhere above Nebraska on Friday afternoon. After a busy few weeks before my trip — helping prepare a 2nd gr...