When we visited Japan 2 years ago we "learned" that Westerners eat broccoli for breakfast because each breakfast buffet included a dish labeled broccoli. To our eyes, the definition of "broccoli' seemed quite broad, as it encompassed green beans, cauliflower and, yes, broccoli.
It turns out that Scandinavian breakfasts have consistently included vegetables. This is of course based on non-scientific research conducted at the 10 places in 3 countries that we've stayed at so far. Each breakfast has included cucumbers and tomatoes, and sometimes carrots. But the only times we've encountered broccoli have been at dinners, hence our observation of, "broccoli: it's not just for breakfast anymore."
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Africa Trip Kickoff
I started writing this form somewhere above Nebraska on Friday afternoon. After a busy few weeks before my trip — helping prepare a 2nd gr...
-
We arrived this morning in Alta, Norway. The scenery was very familiar to an Oregonian: mountains with lots of conifers (the direction opp...
-
Tonga was our first Polynesian stop. After four Melanesian’s countries (Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Fiji), Tonga was a b...
-
Yesterday was a sea day which was great for those of us still adjusting to jet lag. After minimal sleep on, the plane, and interrupted sleep...
Nice. My favorite post so far. (:
ReplyDeleteWhich is not to say I haven't enjoyed the others... I have. Very much. (: This was just a very interesting detail that I thoroughly enjoyed. (:
ReplyDelete