My first visit to Sicily in 2019 didn’t go well and was probably my least favorite location on that whole trip. So I didn’t have high expectations for our day in Palermo, Sicily yesterday.
It was SLL’s birthday, and she wanted to visit the catacombs, so 13 of us piled into two taxi vans for the trip from the port. It was interesting to see the condition of the bodies, mostly from the 1800s; some laying down, others standing up; some adults, some kids; some with clothing indicating wealth and others with more basic clothing; some with facial or head hair, others without. Apparently a total of about 2000 bodies, not all of which are available to be seen. I was the first of the group to exit.
By the end of a long walk (with very few cache finds) we were down to 7 of us, interestingly it was 4 reviewers and 3 significant others. I enjoyed some chocolate sorbet and strawberry sorbet. Then I hit the wall and returned to the ship. After a short afternoon nap I felt fine by dinner.
Palermo was indeed more of Sicily, but it was very nice to explore on our own. Can’t say I’m disappointed to leave Italy and go explore elsewhere,.
No comments:
Post a Comment