Monday, November 4, 2019

All Good Things Must Come to an End


After the end of the cruise we took a bus to the hotel where many of us were staying. We stored luggage then immediately did the obvious – went geocaching with a group of friends. The hotel was near Villa Doria Pamphili which is the largest landscaped park in the city and, not surprisingly, has several caches. We also got to see and photograph an interesting green bird that my nephew identified as a monk parakeet from my picture.

At one point six of us decided to change from searching for caches to searching for lunch. We meandered our way to a Pasticceria which we initially misinterpreted as being “pasta shop” but turned out to mean “pastry shop.” The proprietor graciously directed us to a nearby restaurant where we seemed to be the only customers. We had a wee bit of a language barrier with the woman we assumed was the owner, though she was most gracious and helpful. I amused myself reading the blurb about the restaurant and seem to have gotten the gist of the meaning when compared to what someone else got through google translate. The food was molto delizioso!

After lunch we returned to check into the hotel. Jana wisely declared that one 3-hour walk was sufficient exercise for the day. Some of us who shall remain nameless were not so wise joined an adventure to the Vatican later that afternoon. It was remarkable to be on St. Peter Square and run into several other groups of caching friends – how cosmopolitan of us! (admittedly, the nearby cache event might have had some influence on this, but we saw two other groups away from the event)

When we decided to get dinner we noticed 4 friends at a restaurant. We asked whether they recommended it and they emphatically did not so we continued on our merry way. We found a restaurant that seemed acceptable. But things are not always as they seem, and after the waiter/cook/owner tried to upsell us an unwanted appetizer and then retreated to the kitchen to tend to the cooking and somehow there was fire in the kitchen (which was difficult to see from my vantage point). Needless to say, we quickly paid for our beer and water and beat a hasty retreat. We tried another restaurant but it was closing, so we ended up at the un-recommended location after all. Unfortunately we validated the un-recommendation with what was probably the worst meal of the trip. This was followed by hilarity in an attempt to secure an Uber van (failure), a taxi van (initially a failure), and finally success when the taxi driver returned, drove us safely back up the hill to our lodging, and charged us considerably less than Uber would have.

The problem with 6am flights is how early they are. We had a 2:30am pick-up at the hotel so we set alarms for 2am. The Rome airport was, shall we say, rather inefficient but we made our flight and our tight transfer in Amsterdam. The trick in Amsterdam is to look for the “please let me cut in line because I have a tight connection” location which worked and we made that flight, too.

Now that I’m home I’m smiling as I reminisce about an amazing vacation with a fantastic group of people. I’ve described it as “summer camp for adults” and “a family reunion with cousins you didn’t know you had.” Today at work I was asked what my favorite location was (Malta) and why (it was colorful and felt both unique and familiar). I’ve also been asked what I won’t miss, to which I respond that I won’t miss paying for drinking water or for using the toilet. 

Quick summary: 70 cachers, 70 caches found, 8 new countries (bringing my caching total to 39 and my grand total to 42), many new friends, and lots of pictures to sort through. Saluti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Private Tour

  I woke up bright and early this morning at 5, decided that yes I would go on the tour, and meandered down to breakfast. Definitely Europea...